My first leg of the trip took place from Philadelphia to Washington D.C.
A great friend gave me a ride to the station and it's a good thing I checked with traffic etc before hand because I knew that the main road was blocked off for construction. So she just dropped me on the side of the road and off she went. I headed into the station not having any clue what to expect. I walked through some stores until I finally found the middle of the station. I stood in a line that I thought was important until I realized that it was only the information booth. So I looked around and finally found the ticket counter.
I headed there and gave the guy my ID and printed eticket. He gave me actual copies and I asked him about where to take my luggage. I had one large suitcase going all the way through to Salem for me so I never had to retrieve my luggage from the stations when I switched. He directed me to the luggage counter that was to my right. *This first leg did not carry on luggage for me, so this was the easiest way.*
I went over to the luggage counter and told her what I needed. She worked everything out for me and then I asked her where do I go for my train and she says to look on the board and it will tell me which stairs to go down.
I went to an old fashioned huge board. It was not digital. It was one of those that flip each number to reflect what they are trying to show. I saw my train but I was a bit confused as to where I should go. So I went to the information counter and asked her where I was supposed to go and she asked about my train and that I should go to stairs 7. There was already a small line forming by stairs 7 so I headed over and got in line. I only had my backpack, purse and carry-on luggage, that I bought from goodwill for $6. I then found out that they only let you go down when there is 10 minutes before the arrival of the train. I stood there for about half an hour or forty minutes. I didn't know what to expect so I just stayed. Then the time finally came and we all filed down the stairs to this picture.
Here is a picture of train station in Philly where I started my journey.
I see now why you have to go down certain steps because you cannot get from one platform to another to get on another train. We waited a little thinking the train was going to come on the 7 track. Then a train came up and it was on the 8 track. Me and some other passengers were a bit confused. Another girl asked me about it but I informed her that I had no idea and had never ridden on a train before. Finally the conductor came along and others had asked him if this was the one going to D.C. He said yes so we filed in. I went looking for a two empty seats and almost thought I wouldn't find one, until I did. I put my carry-on on the the top and settled myself into the seat. My eyes were glued to the window most of the time.
The first two hours from Philly to D.C. was eventful. There were two young boys in front of me that liked to do some rough housing. I passed many old and rundown town houses. As I passed through Baltimore I noticed many homes in need of repair and the streets were so dirty. It kinda shocked me.
I passed a huge graveyard but I didn't get a picture of it. I also went over a few bodies of water.

Through the first part I saw other trains. We went through Philly. It was kind of of funny because we headed straight back down to Delaware. But I did have to go to Philly to get the train because of my luggage. The Delaware station did not allow any type of luggage at all.
Here is a bit more the industrial part of Delaware.
I was arriving in Washington right after lunch time so I decided to just eat an apple instead of going to the dining car.
I found a magazine in the front seat pocket and occupied some of my time reading.
Here are a few other things I saw...



No comments:
Post a Comment