Thursday, September 26, 2013

Train Ride Home - Washington D.C.

-Susan Branch

Hello Folks...Fall as totally arrived in Salem, Oregon.  No doubt about it.  I am just now making some fall decor to put around the house.  I have to bring out my gourds.  I saw a great banner thing I can make with them and I am so excited.


So yeah, I am guessing you want to read more of my journey...


 To begin with, I arrived in Philly so hungry.
It was a bit hard to find my bearings.  I had been to the station before but never by the train part.  Union Station is big station.  

It consists of MANY shops, tours around D.C, and also the bus station.  The train part wasn't all that big.  I walked around trying to find some place to eat.  I didn't find anything great but my carry-on was bulky and then I realized what "Store your luggage" really meant.  $6/hr, not bad.  So I stored that one since I knew I wanted to walk around D.C. anyway(one less thing to worry about).  I finally settled on a pizza place that also had a per lb bar and they had a lot of healthy options so I choose from them.  After that I went exploring.  I looked at a map and realized I might be able to walk where the mall(large strip of grass you can walk on and see awesome buildings) was.


  I ventured outside and realized I had a great view of the side of the Capitol, straight out from the station.  I figured that I don't really go there in all the times I have been to D.C. so I went there.  I walked around the huge statue where homeless or run down people were sitting.



  I had to avoid traffic as I walked away from the station.  Listening to walking signs is a great idea.  I realized these two tall guys were walking right along with me.  They seemed odd but not in the homeless type of way.  I don't want to seem prejudice so I won't say what race I thought they were.  So I just decided I was going to walk faster to avoid them.  Some how they caught up to me at each block corner.

  I took my time looking around.  There are many parks near the historical buildings.  As I got closer to the Capitol I noticed there were tons of police everywhere.  I walked past what I assumed was the senate building because it said something about senate offices there.  I got even closer to the Capitol and there were police on every street surrounding it.  It wasn't until I started to get on the roadway that was right in front of it that a police officer stopped me and informed us(me and those two guys) that we had to head to the left.  She gave no explanation.  She simply said, "I need you guys to do me a favor and head that way."

  My thoughts went like this...Is the president there and they are having some meetings about Syria or is someone hurt?  I saw about 3 police searching a hippy looking person's belongings so that made me think there might be a bomb threat.  I saw that I could walk around the grass in front of the Capitol and so I did.  It was funny as I walked I was trying so hard not to look guilty...HAA HAA What do I have to feel guilty about?

  Anyway, I finally got around and took some pictures.  These next "few" pictures are the journey around the grass to try and get a picture.








 "Success" at LAST!


 I then decided, since I was hot and sweaty, I could head back to the station since I was not going to get any closer.  I went through a grassy/park area.  I found a bench and sat down for a bit.  I passed this next water fountain and took the opportunity to do a photo op.



 Once I got back to the station I realized they had a Jambe Juice!!!  YAY.  I went in there and got a c booster to cool down...I was hot.  I then found out where I was going out from and went to sit down.  There were a couple of people who came and went beside me.  One lady sat with me and she was trying to find the right place to go.  She was on my train but was getting off sooner before me. 


It only took me the next day realize that it was the day before 9-11 and they may just be taking more precautions around the capitol because of the Syria thing and rebels might be wanting to take action...


 I guess that's enough for now.  I will blog about my next part soon.  Until then...thanks for reading my blog.  LEAVE COMMENTS!

No comments: